IDEE – Initiatives in Dance through European Exchange
April 2005 - April 2008
Tanzquartier Wien (AT)
IDEE was proposed by 9 dancehouses working together for the first time as a network. It set out to work with emerging choreographers to help them to make connections across Europe and to contextualise their work for international audiences.
To boost the profile of dancehouses and strengthen their position in the cultural-political landscapes, to help dance artists to develop their creative output at pan-European level and to encourage the development of new forms of exchange in dance and performance.
- 10-15 guest performances were selected and adapted for presentation in a variety of international venues including a working partnership with the local artistic community and parallel activities for contextualisation.
- Creation of the Carte Blanche model to allow young choreographers and dancers to make new contacts in Europe or enhance existing contacts.
- Each year a writer/thinker in residence observed the work in a critical, reflective manner assisting with content and analysing proceedings.
- Cork and Oslo hosted conferences -jointly with Vienna- addressing topics of key concern to the dance community in Europe with the cooperation of writers and philosophers.
- 300 performances by 320 artists reached audiences of nigh on 30.000 people.
- IDEE demonstrated its ability to act as a Europe-wide lobby for the continued existence, or new establishment, of dancehouses.
- Long-term cooperation was initiated with 5 start-up dancehouses located in south eastern Europe and Brazil, with the objective to exchange artistic and organisational experience and best-practice models.
- As a result of successful cooperation, it was decided to form EDN, which became a legal association in 2009.
EDN partners: adc Geneva (CH), CND Paris (FR), Dansens Hus Oslo (NO), Dansens Hus Stockholm (SE), DDRC Athens (GR), DeVIR/CAPa Faro (PT), Institute for Choreography and Dance - ICD Cork (IE), Mercat de les Flors Barcelona (ES), Tanzhaus NRW Düsseldorf (DE), Tanzquartier Wien (AT), The Place (UK).
Non-EDN partners: Centrul National al Dansului (Bucharest, RO), Kanuti Gildi Saal (Tallin, EE).