Dance Dialogues Africa
February 2012 - June 2014
Tanzhaus NRW Düsseldorf (DE)
Dance Dialogues Africa was designed to provide several points of access for artists at various levels of development and to promote a shared sense of responsibility across the network of partners. By engaging a variety of formats (guest performances, workshops and residencies, staff exchanges, seminars and contextualising activities), it sought to link production structures between the partners in a sustainable way and to build lasting connections amongst artists and producers.
To initiate long-term cooperative relationships between several dance centres in Africa and a number of key dance venues in Germany.
- Artistic exchange between European and African artists through guest performances in Africa and Germany and workshops and labs to share techniques, styles and experiences.
- Co-productions at the 5 African partner dance centres.
- Young artists were invited to create new work benefitting from mentorship by an established colleague.
- Seminars offering advanced training in management skills.
- A touring festival including the co-produced works travelled to the 5 partner dance houses in Germany, accompanied by activities and documentation giving insight into the process and context of creation.
- Creation of a functioning network for future projects involving African dance centres.
- 12 new works were co-produced with the 5 African partners and toured in European and African venues and festivals.
- Development of a successful 2-way skills exchange model between European and African artists and partner organisations.
EDN partners: HELLERAU-European Centre for the Arts Dresden (DE), K3 Zentrum für Choreographie - Kampnagel Hamburg (DE), Tanzhaus NRW Düsseldorf (DE).
Non-EDN partners: CulturArte (Maputo, MZ), DansArt Tanznetworks (Bielefeld , DE), Donko Seko (Bamako, ML), Ness El Fen (Tunis , TN), Studios Kabako (Kisangani, CD), Theater im Pumpenhaus (Münster, DE), Vuyani Dance (Johannesburg, ZA).