April 2008 - June 2009 (with some successful activities extending beyond the official timeframe of the project)
Tanzhaus NRW Düsseldorf (DE)
Chin-A-moves initiated and cultivated a network of European dancehouses and festivals and Chinese dance companies, theatres and performing arts festivals. It was initially built on the visibility of a tour of high profile artists in China and across Europe. Through performances, co-productions, workshops and conferences, working relationships between performing arts organisations, structures and individual artists were strengthened and new partnerships for future projects emerged.
To nurture connections between younger independent artists from both Europe and China.
- Bahok, a major new work by the Akram Khan Company & the National Ballet of China toured European partner venues and worldwide, providing an immediately accessible introduction to the context of the project.
- Artistic exchange between 6 European and 6 Chinese independent artists through intensive workshops in China and Europe, and guest performances by these artists were presented on both continents.
- Conferences in Düsseldorf, Shanghai and Beijing explored current model support and the challenges facing contemporary dance artists in both Europe and China.
- Creation of a successful model for developing strong relationships across very different cultural and political contexts, which has since been incorporated into other projects.
- 27 performances by independent artists from Europe and China were held at the 14 partner venues.
- Inititation of several follow-up projects: co-productions, regular artistic engagements for Chinese artists and connections with other European festivals.
- Recognition of the need for long-term cultivation of these networks and financial challenges influenced later projects.
EDN partners: Dansens Hus Oslo (NO), Mercat de les Flors Barcelona (ES), Tanzhaus NRW Düsseldorf (DE).
Non-EDN partners: Borneoco (Amsterdam, NL), CCN Roubaix – Nord-Pas de Calais (Roubaix, FR), Living Dance Studio and Crossing Festival (Beijing, CN), Fringe Festival (Shanghai, CN), Internationale Tanzmesse NRW (Düsseldorf, DE), Julidans Festival (Amsterdam, NL), Küntslerhaus Mousonturm (Frankfurt, DE), Tanssin Tiedotuskeskus / Finnish Dance Information Center (Helsinki, FI), van Baasbank & Baggerman (Amsterdam, NL).