New Approaches to Dance Training
29 – 30 JUNE 2018
Dance Training: Is there a ‘right’ model?
This Atelier will explore new approaches to training within the complex ecosystem of youth dance initiatives, vocational training and post graduate performance companies. Over the two days, there will be two keynotes, John Jasperse (Director of Dance, Sarah Lawrence College, New York) and Janet Smith (Northern School of Contemporary Dance, Leeds ) in addition to international speakers including Caroline Ribbers (Fontys, Tilburg) and Jennifer Coogan (Palucca Hochschule, Dresden)
Dance Ireland and European Dancehouse Network (EDN).
Dr Jenny Roche and coinciding with the Irish Youth Dance Festival, multi-faceted issues surrounding vocational training will be discussed, including:
- What are the advantages/disadvantages of a ‘conservatoire’ model and how do we innovate in this context?
- How do we foster excellence while promoting autonomous learning; incorporate new technologies in studio-based teaching and embed creative process and interdisciplinarity in the curriculum?
- What role do Somatics, Ballet and Modern Dance techniques have in contemporary dance training?
- What are the potential pathways into and flowing out from vocational training?
- How can training institutions remain relevant and responsive to shifts in the professional field?
Full list of speakers will follow shortly. Advance booking is advised as capacity is limited.
29 June: 12pm-6pm – 30 June: 10am-4pm
Please register through the online form here – The fee to attend this event as an EDN Member is €150 and will be invoiced to your Dancehouse.
Tickets include lunch.
Atelier attendees are encouraged to attend IYDF in Dun Laoghaire on Saturday 30th June. Booking information for IYDF is here. Tickets: €12 / €14