Hellerau Dresden · The building

Hellerau Festival Theatre, built in 1911 as a school of Rhythmics, is today the location of HELLERAU – European Centre for the Arts, Dresden. Following an eventful history – in the 1930s it served as a military camp; later the Soviet army used it as their barracks between 1945 and 1991. In the 1990s, the people of Hellerau and Dresden reclaimed the grounds of the Festival Theatre with art projects and forms of cultural occupation, turning it into a place for the cultural Modern Age.

More information here.