EDN Atelier: History of dancehouses in Europe
Tanzhaus NRW Düsseldorf
22-23 May 2015
With this Atelier we would like to gather knowledge about the relatively young history of the development of European dancehouses since the 1970’s. During the meeting we are going to establish an editorial board and research topics for a two-year enterprise at the ending of which we aim to make a publication and have a conference. Tanzhaus nrw works for this project in close collaboration with Centro per la Scena Contemporanea Bassano del Grappa (IT), who will host an Atelier in August 2015 on “How to build a dancehouse”.
Tanzhaus nrw Düsseldorf (Bettina Masuch)
Dramaturges, researchers and witnesses of the development of European dancehouses.
– 22 May 2015
14-14.15 h: Welcome address and introduction of participants.
14.15-15 h: Case Study I
By Henning Fülle (dramaturg and scholar, Berlin): “Freies Theater and the German Sonderweg in Theatre Politics”.
Lecture about the historical development of Freies Theater and the sociopolitical background in Germany since the 1970s.
15-17.15 h: Brainstorming
– How has the historical development of dancehouses in European countries been depicted in regard to organization models, institutionalization, networking and funding structures?
– In what way did the employment relationship between dance institution and artist develop?
– How did production structures and the concept of art change in this relationship?
How have the communication and coproduction structures changed since the 1980s?
– What about the European dance institutions from a non-European point of view?
– What about the institution in regard to the disparity between center and periphery?
– What is the relation between funding policies and artistic development on the one side and a nomadic way of producing on the other side?
– Did border and mobility issues change the way institutions and artists work?
17.15-18 h: Brainstorming
– How could a resarch about dance houses and production structures look like in order to create a historical line of development?
– How has this been documented until now?
– Which sources can be used for a further research?
– 23 May 2015
10-10.45 h: Case Study II
By Céline roux (scholar, Rennes): “The French National Choreographic Centers: a single label, multiple locations, time frames and stories”.
Lecture about the historical development of the Centre Chorégraphique Nationale in France and their sociopolitical background in the last 30 years.
10.45-11.30 h: Brainstorming
What were the utopian concepts during the development of the dancehouses in Europe since the 1970s and what about their realization until today?
11.30-13.15 h: Brainstorming
Which topics should be researched for the publication? e.g. architecture of the dancehouses, relation between organization/finance structures, a mapping of free production structures (EDN-structures and beyond), European production structures in international context, the role of institutions like Goethe-Institut or Institut Français, etc.
13.15-14 h: Brainstorming
What authors should be asked for which research topic?